What I’d like to talk about today is different ways to make sure you get amazing wedding photos. Picking a photographer can be super overwhelming & hard to know how to go about choosing the right one for you. Hopefully these tips will help you navigate the treacherous world of wedding planning.
1. Starting out find out what style you like best! There are so many different styles of photo editing & not every editing style will be your choice. One of the best ways to help you decide what you like will be to search different photography styles. For starters search light & airy wedding photography & then also check out dark & moody wedding photography. These are both the pillars of very different editing styles. Look at them both & then see which one you’re more drawn to & what you want your wedding photos to look more like. My editing style would fall under the category of light & airy. Which is in my opinion is light, bright, romantic, dreamy & more true to color.
2. Now there is a photographer for everyone but not every photographer is for you & also not every client is ideal for every photographer. What I mean by this is there are several things that come into play when you are getting ready to make this choice. Remember these are photos you want to cherish & to last you a lifetime. So you want to get exactly what you want & to be able to work with someone you’re 100% comfortable with the day of your wedding. Search photographers in your area or those that are willing to travel. Find about 3-5 that you just love their work & style then contact them. Let them know what you’re looking for or if your not sure ask them what they offer & see if you think it would work for you.
However, budget is another thing to consider. Each person’s budget will be different & you need to find out if the photographers you’re inquiring to can work with yours. If it turns out that you’ve found the photographer of your dreams & they are just a bit out of budget I encourage you to make the sacrifice & go for it.
Because this is why… these photos will literally reflect your entire wedding, this wonderful day that is so important & you’ve worked so hard to put together. Take that extra step to get the photos that will make you happy every time you look at them. It is worth it!
3. Once you’ve got that taken care of you can move onto finding out & being more specific about what you want out of your wedding photos. What kind of posing are you looking for, are there any special details you want captured? (as in family heirloom jewelry, etc.) do you have any special or out of the ordinary things planned during the day you want to make sure you have photos of? Always put some thought into these things. Discuss it with your photographer to make sure it’s not missed. Even go a step further and add it in the timeline for extra assurance that it doesn’t get missed! Make sure the photographer you choose is willing to accommodate what you’re looking for.
4. Another important thing I encourage people to check into & also to make sure to have done is engagement pictures. Does the photographer you’re looking into offer them or are they willing to add them in your package if you ask for them? I think it’s important for the client & photographer to have an engagement session. It helps the couple get to know their photographer. Also gets the couple comfortable in front of the camera before the big day. The photographer can also find out if you have any specifics that you’d like to have note of. Or anything you’d like the photographer to be aware of while taking your photos.
5. Lastly find someone you can be comfortable around & just have fun with! Talk to your potential photographer, tell them any concerns you may have. Check to see that they are willing to try to help keep the portrait taking atmosphere simple & natural to get the best photos possible. Anytime people looked over posed & stiff it takes away from the photo & what it could be. Its not necessary to have 30 different poses or to even have a different pose for every single shot. However you do want to mix it up some but you can get quite a few different frames from one pose with changing the angle & mixing up minor details to give the pose a completely different look. Therefore not putting too much stress on you to get a ton of different poses correct & also saving time!
BONUS TIP! Start an inspiration board on Pinterest for both your engagement & wedding! This will be so helpful for you to get the vision of what look you’re going for. You can even Pin most of your favorite photographers photos directly from their website. So you can be inspired by the photos you love. For instance my website blog supports direct Pinning, just hover over an image or page and a little “Pinterest save” badge appears for you to save to the board of your choice! Another awesome thing to do it follow wedding blogs, one of my personal favorites is The White Wren. I’m currently interning for them but I loved them before I started, thats why I applied in the first place. You’ll find amazing content & inspiration!
I hope that this has helped some of you to better understand where & how to start while looking for your photographer. Also I really hope it helps you know how to obtain amazing wedding photos! Like I mentioned earlier in my post. Not every photographer is suited to take photos for everyone & trust me, you don’t want just anyone photographing your wedding day.
If you’re interested in my work fill out my contact form. We can talk about what you’re looking for. As a result if I’m a match then I’ll be the perfect photographer for your big day!
All content Copyright 2020 Alexis Lunsford Photography
I look forward to connecting with my clients & experiencing these seasons of life with you! I'm very detailed in the information I collect so I can be sure we are the perfect fit. Guaranteeing we will both have amazing experiences!
Terms & conditions